Used for belonging to, relating to, or connected with:
• The secret of this game is that you can’t ever win.
• The highlight of the show is at the end.
• The first page of the book describes the author’s profile.
• Don’t touch it. That’s the bag of my friend’s sister.
• I always dreamed of being rich and famous.
Used to indicate reference:
• I got married in the summer of 2000.
• This is a picture of my family.
• I got a discount of 10 percent on the purchase.
Used to indicate an amount or number:
• I drank three cups of milk.
• A large number of people gathered to protest.
• I had only four hours of sleep during the last two days.
• He got a perfect score of 5 on his writing assignment.
Used to indicate the place, person, or thing that someone or something moves toward, or the direction of something:
• I am heading to the entrance of the building.
• The package was mailed to Mr. Kim yesterday.
• All of us went to the movie theater.
• Please send it back to me.
Used to indicate a limit or an ending point:
• The snow was piled up to the roof.
• The stock prices rose up to 100 dollars.
Used to indicate relationship:
• This letter is very important to your admission.
• My answer to your question is in this envelop.
• Do not respond to every little thing in your life.
Used to indicate a time or a period:
• I work nine to six, Monday to Friday.
• It is now 10 to five. (In other words, it is 4:50.)
Used to indicate the use of something:
• This place is for exhibitions and shows.
• I baked a cake for your birthday.
• I put a note on the door for privacy.
• She has been studying hard for the final exam.
Used to mean because of:
• I am so happy for you.
• We feel deeply sorry for your loss.
• For this reason, I’ve decided to quit this job.
Used to indicate time or duration:
• He’s been famous for many decades.
• I attended the university for one year only.
• This is all I have for today.