SPEAKING SUB – TEST
ROLE PLAYER’S CARD
NURSING SETTING / Hospital Ward / PATIENT
You are a 42 year old male who arrived at the hospital via ambulance 10 days ago after suffering from acute Sub – sternal chest pain radiating to left arm. You have been diagnosed with myocardial infarction. You are a businessman, married with 3 children. Your condition is now stable, however, you are restless and worried that you will have to make big changes to your lifestyle. Seek reassurance from the nurse.
- Express nervousness about future health.
- Ask if all the medications are necessary.
- Will you be able to work soon
- Express concern that it will be hard to make changes to your lifestyle.
- Request advice about suitable diet/ exercise routine.
NURSING SETTING / Hospital Ward / NURSE
Patient is a 42 year old male who arrived at the hospital via ambulance 10 days ago after suffering from acute Sub-sternal chest pain radiating to left arm. Patient has been diagnosed with myocardial infarction. Patient is a businessman, married with 3 children. His condition is now stable, however, he appears restless and worried about his condition. He is overweight ind is a smoker. He has high blood pressure.
- Provide comfort and stress the importance of a gradual transition back to normal life.
- Reassure the patient that he can expect a full recovery if he follows doctor’s advice.
- Discuss importance taking medications regularly.
- Discuss the importance of giving up smoking.
- Provide advice on what assistance is available to assist in quitting smoking.
- Provide advice on suitable diet and exercise.
- Discuss importance of regular rest periods between activities.
- Respond to patient questions and provide reassurance