SPEAKING SUB – TEST
ROLE PLAYER’S CARD
NURSING SETTING / Hospital Ward /PATIENT
You are Harry Jones aged 78. You are a bachelor who lives on his own. You were admitted to hospital to have a large lesion removed from your back. You know you’ll be discharged in the next few days but meantime you want to make the most of the rest and the hospital food. You want the nursing staff to leave you in peace but a nurse says it’s time to get up and have a shower. You are feeling quite cranky.
- point out that you will be home in a few days and there will be plenty of time to shower then.
- Explain that at your age you need rest not exercise.
- Argue that a shower will only wet the dressing on your shoulder.
NURSING SETTING / Hospital Ward / NURSE
Your patient, Harry Jones age 78,s in after surgery to remove a large lesion from his back. He is recovering well And you want him to get up and walk about and to have a shower. You have observed that he neglected his personal hygiene and appearance.
- Encourage the patient to have a shower, wash his hair and generally get cleaned up.
- Be tactful as he can be often cranky if he doesn’t want to do something.
- Say you will place a waterproof dressing over the lesion area.
- Stress the importance of exercise and good hygiene in ensuring a speedy recovery.