SPEAKING SUB – TEST
ROLE PLAYER’S CARD
NURSING SETTING - Hospital ward - PATIENT
You are a 70 year-old patient who has had a bowel resection for colon cancer. Upon your recovery from surgery,the doctor wants you to startchemotherapy and then radiotherapy.Yourfather and brother both died of cancer and you are worried that no matter what youdo, the cancer will return.
- Ask the nurse about chemotherapy and radiotherapy. Express yourconcernabout side effects such as weakness and nausea, and hair loss.
- Admit yourworriesto the nurse about managing alone at home
- Ask the nurse about the possibility of the cancer returning.
NURSING SETTING - Hospital ward - NURSE
The patient is a 70 year-old who has had a bowel resection for colon cancer. He was obese, but lost a lot of weight in the last few months. Since her/his hospitalisation, she/he has given up smoking. Upon recovery from surgery, she/he is due to start chemotherapy and then radiotherapy.
- Answer the patient’s questions and give reassurance about the cancer treatment.
- Reassure the patient she/ hewill be well looked after and explain that after she/he leaves hospital you will ensuresupport is available to her/ him.
- Answer the patient’s questions in a reassuring manner.
- Make sure the patient has no furtherconcernsto be dealtwith.