SPEAKING SUB – TEST
ROLE PLAYER’S CARD
NURSING SETTING – Hospital ward – PATIENT
As a 72 year- old patient you have developed a urinary tract infection after you underwent surgery 4 days ago for cancer of the colon. You were commenced on an antibiotic (trimethoprim) and Ural. You live with your husband, who has chronic obstructive airways disease and is partially blind and very reliant on you. Despite your condition, he is your biggest concern as he is currently home alone.
- Ask questions about how long you need to take medication, how long you will need to stay in hospital, and whether chemotherapy will be dangerous at your age.
- Answer the nurse’s questions and explain that you had an episode of unconsciousness and were not feeling well for a few months, lacking energy and tiring quickly.
- Express concern about staying in hospital as your husband is home alone and relies on you for help. Be very worried about this.
NURSING SETTING – Hospital Ward – NURSE
This 72 year-old patient has developed a urinary tract infection after he/she underwent surgery 4 days ago for cancer of the colon. She was commenced on an antibiotic(trimethoprim) and Ural. The patient lives with his wife/her husband, who has chronicobstructive airways disease and is partially blind and very reliant on you. He/ She is concerned about a prolonged stay as her husband/his wife is home alone.
- Answer the patient’s questions in a reassuring manner.
- Ask the patient about his/her general heath over the last six months and how he/ she has been coping at home.
- Sympathies with the patient and try to calm them down by offering home help for the care of the patient’s husband/wife. Give advice about diet and lifestyle to