SPEAKING SUB – TEST
ROLE PLAYER’S CARD
NURSING SETTING - Hospital ward - PATIENT
You are 67 years old and have been admitted to hospital for balloon angioplasty. Six months previously, you had a coronary artery bypass graft, from which you made a good recovery. This admission, there is obstruction to the coronary arteries by further atherosclerotic deposits. You have lived on your own since your wife’s /husband’s death three years ago.
- Answer the nurse’s questions and explain that you get most of your nutrition from take away food. You have cut down on cigarettes from 20 to 10 a day. You don’t exercise out of fear of further heart problems. You have a son who lives on the other side of town.
- Tell the nurse you fear for your health and ask for advice about lifestyle improvements.
NURSING SETTING - Hospital ward - NURSE
A 67 year- old patient is admitted to hospital for balloon angioplasty. Six months ago he/she had a coronary artery bypass graft, from which he /she made a good recovery. Now there is obstruction to the coronary arteries by further atheroscleroticdeposits. His/Her current medical history indicates that he may need to look at lifestyle changes. He/She has lived on their own since his wife’s/ her husband’sdeath three years ago.
- Ask the patient about his/her diet, exercise, smoking and drinking habits , and any support networks of family and/or friends.
- Reassure the patient that lifestyle changes can be made easily. Emphasise the importance of moderate exercise and eating healthier foods.
- Discuss exercise options such as walking or lawn bowls and setting achievable goals for dietary improvements (eg. start by cooking once a week, avoid unhealthy foods when grocery shopping).